Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11


I did know things were going to be different at school today.

1. Our Flag
2. A Patriotic Ceremony was scheduled
3. Students were asked to wear Red, White and Blue

I did know the girls would have questions. I found 2 magazines for them to look at this morning.

What I did not know was how to answer their questions.

Mom, who did this?
Why did they do this?
Mom, is this person really hurt?
Mom, did the person who did this die?
How many people died?
Were there any kids?
Mom, is that an airplane?
Were there people in that airplane?
Wow! There are a million firemen.
What is on their faces?
Look at all that smoke.
Mom, were you alive when this happened?

During the Patriotic Ceremony at school I looked at Lily and all the Kindergarten students; none of them were alive eight years ago. I looked at Tara and all her 2nd grade friends; all of us Moms were pregnant and some were about to give birth. I know it is hard for them to understand.

I know I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. As well as other people, I remember where I was; what I was doing; and what I was even wearing on that September morning. I'm glad that the children asked questions and you were willing to answer. It was also a day that America and Americans came together as a country and as citizens.

    ReplyDelete