Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Better to Give or Receive?


Although it is fun to receive, I do try to teach my girls the value of giving. Last week Michael took the girls to Target (favorite store) to buy me a couple of gifts for my birthday. While they were browsing the store the girls would find items they would like to buy me. Each time they found something, Michael would ask hesitantly "are you sure she will like it?" Their answer, "she will love them." Although these were not gifts Michael would have bought me or items I would have picked out for myself; the girls wanted to give them to me. They were eager to come home and wrap their gifts. We celebrated my birthday in the usual way; eating cake and opening gifts.

That evening after the celebration was over and after I had put the girls to bed, I had a 'crystal in the air.' I looked at my gifts one more time and I realized just how thoughtful they were. Tara bought me a white shirt and black skirt. My two favorite colors together are black and white. I also love to wear skirts. Lily bought me a necklace, earrings and bracelet. Whenever I get dressed I will say something like "this outfit needs a necklace." The girls were right about the gifts...I love them.

My friend Lysa and her 3 daughters delivered me the beautiful bouquet of flowers. Michael bought me the book I have listed on my bookshelf, The Glass Castle. I have only read a few pages, but so far so good.

So I would have to say...it was better to receive.

3 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    Your girls are so precious...what beautiful gifts of love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara and Lily so enjoy buying gifts for their mother. And you always show your great love and appreciation for whatever they give you. This is one reason why they like picking out gifts for you. They give with love and you receive with love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how sweet! You are a lucky Momma! It sounds like you had a very sweet birthday!

    ReplyDelete